One of the 5th grade science units is also the solar system. We had some in-house experts! On Friday, our buddies came to our room and helped us with our research. First, a few of the 5th graders presented their projects.
Then, the students paired up, kindergartner and 5th grader, to do some research on the different planets. We used a note taking technique called coding. In coding, the students read a section of text and then mark their thinking with symbols.
+ I already knew...
- I learned...
? I wonder...
! Wow!
The buddy teams went around the room to different planet research stations. At the station, they read an article or book about that planet, then talked about the facts in the text. They recorded one of the codes on the piece of paper at the station. At the end of the rotations, we had many facts recorded about each planet. The buddy teams worked very hard and learned many interesting things about the solar system.
Buddy Research on PhotoPeach
No comments:
Post a Comment